Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Astrologers and Muggledom

I finally got fed up with being ‘Dharmaruci’ earlier this week. It’s a leftover from my Buddhist days that ended 15 years ago (my misspent youth!) As an essentially renunciative path, I have strong reservations about Buddhism. And as a collective belief system – well, I’m an Aquarian! And I don’t want a name that sets me apart as ‘spiritual’. Because I’m not.
My given name is ‘Barry’, which means ‘spear’ or ‘marksman’ or ‘straight to the mark’. That’ll do. I could add the rider: ‘and sometimes puts his foot in it as a result.’ But it’s a funny thing changing the name you’re known by, a lot of people find it difficult to get used to. I know I do. Names carry power it seems, even ordinary, regular ones, maybe especially so if it’s the name you were born with.

My Dad was determined that I would be ‘Barry’ even before I was born and it was not known if I would be a boy or a girl. I don’t know why he thought that, he’s not the sort who would have looked up the meaning. You have to be careful what you name people, because they often become it. My Buddhist name, given by the person who was my teacher (no longer) meant ‘the fascinating truth’, which is not dissimilar to Barry, and I ended up speaking truths about his set-up that he did not want to hear.

It’s also Moon in Sagittarius, a sign that loves the truth in a straightforward and refreshing but sometimes naïve way, naïve in the sense of being unaware of other people’s sensibilities.

Below is a piece that is maybe both of these!



As astrologers, we exist in a society where the establishment treats our craft as ridiculous, as patently nonsense. That affects us profoundly. We are social animals, we need to belong, we need to be recognised by our community. I don’t think this dismissal affects all of us, some people can get on quietly with being astrologers. But I still think it affects a lot of us.


If we are up to it, that ‘outsider’ status can force us to find a deeper confidence from within, one that is not dependent on recognition from without. But even then I think it can take its toll, can make us slightly cranky.

Back in the Middle Ages, astrology was proscribed by the Church because it was seen as summoning up demons. Now that gives it real power! But it also meant we were seen as evil. I don’t know which is worse, being demonised or being dismissed!

__________________________________________
Ad Break: I offer skype astrology readings (£60 full reading, £40 for an update). Contact: BWGoddard1 (at)aol.co.uk.
_____________________________

And this is probably the main reason that astrology is seen as a Uranian, or Aquarian path: because for so long it has been the outsider. In my opinion, astrology in itself is more Neptunian than anything, at least in its modern form, because we are allowing live symbols to speak through us.

But as I say, living with establishment ridicule also takes its toll on astrologers individually and collectively, and I don’t think this gets explored enough.

Instead, I think it comes out as astrologers collectively taking themselves too seriously, as being too eager to display intellectual credentials, as if this will somehow result in us being taken more seriously. It won’t. Or, maybe, as if it will somehow enable us to take ourselves more seriously.

 It is an unconscious compensation. The collective will not take us seriously, and as ordinary human beings we find it hard to do that for ourselves, so we compensate with a display of erudition and propriety. And humourlessness. How often do you see a joke in an astrology magazine?


You get this in any profession. People wanting to be taken seriously and given recognition and competing for it. It's a natural thing. But there seems a particular flavour to it in the astrology world that is all its own and, as I say, derives from establishment ridicule.

And I think this needs exploring. It needs to be a theme of conferences and magazines: how does this cultural dismissal affect us personally and collectively? Instead, it’s almost as though we pretend it’s not there, like we have gone way beyond that sort of insecurity. But I see it leaking out of the earholes of so many astrologers and their institutions.

It’s our big family secret, and I say this sympathetically. And the paradox is that this dismissal could free us. We are never going to be taken seriously in the current climate whatever we do, so there is nobody we need to impress. And there are no government bodies who are trying to regulate us.

I’ve never liked it when I see academic courses that involve astrology, MAs and stuff, in which one’s experience of astrology actually working is irrelevant. How can astrologers do this, subscribe to a course in which the very soul of astrology is not allowed to enter, in order to get an academic qualification? It says so much. 


I say to hell with academia, they are never going to respect us. As astrologers a broad cultural education is very important, but it needs to be on our own terms. And the freedom that comes with that. We need a sort of Hogwarts for grown-ups!

We have a broader way of knowing and evaluating than does academia or science. We have all 4 elements, they only have Air and Earth. We have Water and Fire, Feeling and Intuition as well. Academia and Science have got above themselves. They need to be treated as scholarly adjuncts to our more all-encompassing tradition.

Remember, we are dealing with MUGGLES, people who do not believe in magic! It is so important NOT to take them seriously. We need to laugh at their pretensions, and then we won’t take ourselves seriously in the wrong sort of way.


There is of course a right way of taking oneself seriously. And it always leaves room for humour and messing up and changing your mind and saying I don’t know. The wrong sort we could call being earnest.


And back to my main point: Astrology suffers from the cultural dismissal it is subject to, and we need to own up to that and explore it, rather than unconsciously compensating for it by becoming earnest.

12 comments:

Christina said...

Go Barry! Have you had any transits or progressions that fit with the name changes? It is, after all, pretty significant. I'd have thought there might be some first house stuff going on. It's also pretty good transformation for a Plutonian.

I agree about the Uranus for astrologers. You need to be pretty Uranian to come out as an astrologer, but it doesn't tell the whole story.


Anonymous said...

Great subject, unexpected depth about your personal favorite subject, or should I say "what fascinating truth?!" ;-) I bumped into this -not taken seriously- a few months ago, and I was really shocked how this (cynical, bitter) person displayed astrology as some housewife stupidity. But it also put me with my feet on the ground (sometimes needed, i'm a Capricorn with aquarius ASC, so, feet on the floor, but head in the clouds) and it scared me a bit somehow. Mideaval witch-hunt scared. It was shocking, just because I forgot how most people (collective) see astrology (not seriously, not a real science) but I am talking to people all the time that are into astrology, so it suddenly felt quite vulnerable. Cellectively it is like a taboo to do astrology! So, it must be the Pluto in the Birthchart of astrology itself! thanks for this enlightening, Barry. You surely lit a dark place.

Anonymous said...

http://barbarapijan.com/bpa/Practice_Issues/Differences_western_Jyotisha.htm

Anonymous said...

Hi Barry...I've been an astrologer for 38 years, and have not given a darn whether society takes me seriously or not. My clients enjoy my readings and find them useful, and that is all that matters in the end. I'm a Scorpio with a 10th house Uranus, which is likely why I don't care about the public acceptance.

I agree that astrology is best when not subjected to accreditation or academic regulation. Not sure why many astrologers want to "legitimize" it.

Anonymous said...

Good peace, Barry - I won't call you the other name anymore.

In my view astrology is more about wisdom than it is about scientific intelligence and for that I think an astrologer needs the outer planets Uranus, Neptune and Pluto to be strong in his/her chart in order to gain that greater wisdom by working through the contents of these heavy planets.
You are so right: astrology is not only about reason, but also about compassion and intuition. Only when you understand the nature of greater wisdom you can deal with sometimes being an outsider.

mimi

Sara said...

"Back in the Middle Ages, astrology was proscribed by the Church because it was seen as summoning up demons." - And yet, astrology was just as important then as it had been in the past, and the 'Church' people used it, despite their dismissal of it. Hmmm... such control freaks, they were.
I find your pre-birth given name (a/k/a Spearchukker) interesting. My first name means 'princess' and 'beloved of God' (same thing) and my last name means 'mighty'. 'Warror princess' suits me, especially considering how my own life has evolved and things that have happened lately.
Aquarius, Leo rising, happy to know you!

Twilight said...

I enjoyed your thoughts here. Dunno about the name though - I kind of liked Dharmaruci - in spite of my difficulty spelling it. Barry reminds me of our sainted Prez of the USA - and I'd prefer not to be reminded of him. But I do understand your own feelings on this.

I'm not an astrologer proper, just an amateur dabbler. I still resent the dismissal of the subject found almost everywhere. Even more, I resent the feeling that if a person takes astrology seriously, then judgment in other topics has to be seriously questionable. I'm sensitive to this, a lot! Need to grow a tougher skin (natal Cancer rising, Aquarius Sun, Aries Moon).

imix said...


Hi Barry I read your blog all the time and love your astrological interpretations.

Congratulations on your name change, it becoames you

All best.

Debbie Rutter said...

You never cease to amaze me! I'd wondered for ages what your 'real' name was! As to the subject of being taken seriously, as a blonde, Catholic, Essex girl who's into astrology believe me, I've heard it all! It drives me mad (and as I have Aries rising I sometimes bite back!) but hey, let 'em mock. I have learnt more from your blog than I did from years at a smart convent school. You keep writing, I'll keep reading and learning.

Kenna J said...

Dear Barry,

That's cool to know your birth name! I don't happen to think it currently suits you. Sometimes given names are just placeholders until something more appropriate comes along.

Straight ahead with the fascinating truth! I, too, have the Moon in Sagittarius, and I love this quality of yours. I like the name Dharmaruci much more now that I know its meaning. Maybe I should take it as my own name.

(Hey, you're one of my teachers, so maybe you could give me a name.)

Your last name means something like "the bravery of God," which keeps with the theme.

Charge on! Feeling love for you.

Kenna J said...



Oh, also--

"Barrie" is a not-uncommon name for women in New York City and surrounding areas.

Philip Levine said...

Regarding our role and compensation, written almost 20 years ago, in case you have interest:

http://cosmicwindow.com/letter.html