Sunday, May 15, 2011

Shamanic Bits and Pieces

I took a look at Facebook first thing this morning, and there was Tom asking if anyone wanted to talk about shamanism. Liz Jones Iwasiuk had commented, “From what I understand it's a very very old way of life........I met one about three years ago and he was very interesting. He said to me that "women are the leaders of men and as soon as a man relaxes and lets his woman lead him life is much much easier" ........he has a point!

I then made 6 comments in the next 25 minutes:

I'm reading 'The Secret Fire of the Philosophers' by Patrick Harpur (who wrote Daimonic Reality). It's a History of the Imagination, but it's grounded in the experience of daimons in the natural world, from pixies to animal helpers.

Neptune is in Pisces for the next 14 years, so I think there's going to be a lot of interest in the Dreamtime.

I tend to think that for many men, their strength is in getting things done, and for many women their strength lies in the wider vision of what needs to be done and how to go about it. Women can act as a sort of soul guide for men, who also need to woo their own anima, move towards a sort of ecstatic union within. It probably works the other way round too, though I wouldn't know how. (Any women out there care to comment?) I think women's leadership can be esoteric, not everyone will see it.

A shaman or a poet who is a man has more than the usual sense of the feminine within, which is experienced as ecstatic. He follows it and trusts it, it is what gives his life meaning. There is little place for this in our society, where it is having a job that validates you!

What is the opposite of Death? The answer is Birth. We think the answer is Life, and that causes a lot of problems. That when you die, life ceases. That is not traditional. The dead are dead, but they are still with us, they have moved on, they have had the next initiation. (Pinched from Harpur’s book above.) Jung found that the unconscious of very old people did not behave as though it was about to be extinguished, it behaved as though it were continuing indefinitely.

You've caught me when I've just got up and thoughts come to me! I think the above might go on my blog! I guess when I'm just up I'm fresh, but still close to the dreamworld.

;) Emoticon with a hairy right eyebrow.

End.

It is because we fear death that Pluto appears to us as a dark god. That is our own projection. Pluto is certainly a god of power, the power to live and the power to survive. He is weighty but has a sense of humour. He is the power beneath our feet, pushing upwards. If you live from that power, then you don't need to fear him. He is the bountiful nature of life.

Here's an interesting quote from Harpur's book that brings together fairy abduction and conspiracy theory:

The Sidhe need human robustness, wrote Yeats, while we need their wisdom. Just as they take young mothers to suckle their babies and young women for wives, so the modern 'aliens' - the so-called greys - take female ova or foetuses in order to strengthen their race. The lack of reciprocity in early versions of this interesting folklore was later amended when it became widely believed that the aliens were in cahoots with the government, who sanctioned their activities in exchange for their 'wisdom' - in this case an advanced extraterrestrial technology.

Here's another one I picked up from Facebook, by John Perkins (who wrote The World is as You Dream It, as well as Confessions of an Economic Hitman):




Site Meter

7 comments:

Viki said...

Interesting about the Dreamtime with Neptune now in Pisces. I've also seen an increase in articles about sleep disorders, and how "Sleep" is becoming the new darling of medical research (at least in Canada and the US). There's a lot of concern about sleep deprivation and work, and I have encountered more people in the last 6 months that have been diagnosed with sleep disorders than I've seen before. Perhaps Neptune is showing us the need for a good rest so that we can integrate and foster our imaginations and creativity.

Barry Goddard said...

I read recently that people used to sleep longer than they do now. But that sleeping for longer is also associated with not living for so long, which is a bit odd.

Bronwen Rees said...

I'm sure that women meet their own animus through meeting ( rather than manipulating - or at least being conscious of the manipulation of ) the male. Women's leadership is also on the whole esoteric. It is only felt, and rarely seen. If its seen, its generally of the 'eagle variety' and often doesn't draw on its real strength.

By the way, with reference to your blog earlier this week. There is a very famous ASBO swan in Cambridge, which rules the roost on the river Cam. The swan is often reported in the Cambridge Evening News. This must be an early sign of Pluto moving into Aquarius. It might have several offspring by then - and who knows what danger we may be in here!

Anonymous said...

I find this to be a hard subject to talk about-intellecualize-almost like-if you say IT-it is no longer the truth. Esoteric,yes. Experiencing as a child,the medicine women that knew their way of healing,using herbs,roots,foods-prayers....they just knew...and nobody questioned this---or made a big deal out of it. And they kept their communities healthy--no asperin,no drug stores---no doctors--and just plain old common sense...and...there are people-women+men still doing this sort of thing---no big deal. Just that I find this very hard to talk about it...like being 'sacred"?

diastella said...

and men are soul guides for women. personally i notice that men get me to actualise, to get it done. without unity with a man I find that everything becomes quite remote and vast.

Barry Goddard said...

Thanks for that Diastella. Very interesting.

Anonymous said...

As a woman I find there is nothing more deeply,deeply satisfying than my man actually listening to my advice,acting on it,then of course taking the credit for pulling off the miraculous.It's like our private magic trick.